Hypnotherapy for IBS
Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS, for short, is a bowel problem many people in the UK suffer from. It can cause pain and discomfort and can seemingly affect otherwise totally healthy people. The term is given to people who suffer from some or all of the symptoms listed below, often nothing is clearly found to explain their symptoms. It covers any abnormality with a person’s gut that does not have a demonstrable physical abnormality. Typical symptoms of IBS are:
- A change in your bowel habits – such as diarrhoea, constipation or sometimes both
- Abdominal pain and cramping – often relieved by emptying your bowels
- Bloating and swelling of your abdomen
- Passing mucus from your bottom
- Excessive wind (flatulence)
- An urgent need to go to the toilet
- A feeling you have not fully emptied your bowels
- A feeling that you need to open your bowels even if you have just been to the toilet
It can be so debilitating
Due to the embarrassment, pain and discomfort many people suffering from the condition also feel depressed and anxious. Although the reasons for causing IBS are unknown it is widely believed to be influenced by stress.
Hypnotherapy for IBS is the way forward
Hypnotherapy for IBS is recognised as a useful treatment for irritable bowel syndrome by the medical profession.
Hypnotherapy for IBS can help reduce the symptoms in several ways. The two main approaches are to combat the symptoms themselves by using powerful visualisation techniques and relaxation techniques. The other is to focus on the client’s stress and anxiety levels.
Learning to recognise the triggers before they operate can give the client the ability to prevent attacks of IBS before they get going. This control helps to reduce the frequency of IBS attacks in the future. It is always important to talk to your GP first to rule out any physical conditions that may be causing your problems.
To discuss how hypnotherapy can help with IBS further or to book and appointment please get in contact.